Work Based Learning (WBL)
What is WBL?
Work-based learning (“WBL”) is the basis of the Normative Skills programme where skills students are exposed to in the Normative Skills workshop and modules can be put in practice and developed in the workplace.
WBL aims to close the Gap between theory and practice when it comes to Normative Skills to form a well-rounded Actuarial Professional.
The WBL process is an excellent introduction into the CPD process that you will embark on after qualifying.
Read more on the requirements and process for WBL in the Student Handbook
Who should do WBL?
All students that embark on the Normative Skills – Core APP and then continue on to Fellowship APP should register for WBL. Please refer to the WBL Chapter in the Student Handbook for more information.
Students who joined before 31 March 2015 and are still doing Work-Based Skills (skills) should refer to the NS Transitional page for information on transitioning to WBL by Dec 2020.
WBL Online System
ASSA has rolled-out a new online WBL system in January 2019.
Existing WBL students:
- Only students that have submitted a submission 1 to 3 on the Learning platform in 2018 migrated to the new online system.
- Students who were on submission 4 at the end of 2018 or later will continue their WBL on the old system (spreadsheets).
- Students should take note of the steps that are required to migrate from the old spreadsheet based system to the new online system. Refer to the WBL instructions below.
The online WBL system is based on a workflow solution that manages the submissions and approvals between students, supervisors and reviewers. Email notification will be sent out if you are required to interact with the system and submit or approve information.
Who can be a Supervisor?
- A supervisor is a Fellow of ASSA that works in the same company or industry as you.
- If your supervisor is not your line manager there must be effective communication between them.
- If you are working in a non-traditional field and no Fellows are available to select as a Supervisor, please contact ASSA Education to assist you in finding a Supervisor.
- Download your Supervisor Information Pack for more information and details