Exemption applications are required for subjects written with accredited universities. To apply for exemptions, you must be a registered member of the Actuarial Society of South Africa and provide a letter of recommendation signed by the accreditation actuary at the accredited university.
Applications for exemptions can be made online via the ASSA member profile and payment can be made by credit card or via eft. Exemption fees can be found in the ASSA fees schedule; please ensure that you have the necessary documents available when you make the online application i.e.:
- Letter of recommendation from the accreditation actuary at your university
- Your most recent university Academic transcript
Exemption Application Process
The Actuarial Profession strongly advises you to:
- Apply for your exemptions as soon as possible after completing and passing one or more of the recognized qualifications.
- Contact the Actuarial Society immediately if you are concerned that our records do not hold details of exemptions you may be entitled to.
- If you do not formally apply for exemptions you believe you are eligible for, or if you are eligible for an exemption but do not pay the relevant fee, your exemptions record will be incomplete, and as a result you will not appear on the final qualification pass lists.
- There is not a specified period within which you should apply for an exemption, however some of your exemptions may no longer be valid if there is a material change to the subject structure of the curriculum so that the relevant subject does not map to an equivalent subject in the new system. Any applications should also be based on a recommendation by the accredited institutions and we cannot accept any applications if the institutions do not have record or can’t validate the applications. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for your exemptions as soon as possible after becoming a member or after completing an actuarial qualification at an accredited university.
Exemption applications with reference to subjects passed through the UK IFoA before April 2010 will have to be processed manually and will have no cost. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to make these 2010 exemption applications.
- Student member applications and exemptions to the IFoA, please refer to the Information document