All models and data are used at the user’s own discretion and the user have the responsibility to check that the application of the model is appropriate. The Actuarial Society of South Africa do not take responsibility for errors or omissions in the models.
The ASSA2008 model was released in March of 2011, and is the most recent version of the ASSA AIDS and Demographic model to be released. The most significant changes to the previous version of the model are greater estimates of the impact of antiretroviral treatment in recent years, as well as significant increases in levels in condom usage over the last decade.
The ASSA2003 model was preceded by the ASSA2003, ASSA2002, ASSA2000, ASSA600 and ASSA500 models.
The ASSA2003 and the Older Models are designed and calibrated for South Africa. The Actuarial Society of South Africa also develops models for other countries.
The ASSA Select model is a model that can be used to assess the impact of HIV/AIDS on workforce populations and other groups which have been selected in some way from the general population. The most recent version of the model to be published was published in June of 2006. Click here to view the ASSA Select model
An outline of the Modelling of the HIV and AIDS epidemic by actuaries in South Africa is given below:
- Proprietary model
- Developed by Peter Doyle and Donald Miller
- Released: 1989
- The most significant changes to the previous version of the model are greater estimates of the impact of antiretroviral treatment in recent years, as well as significant increases in levels in condom usage over the last decade.
- Released 2011
Note for download: You will require a password to download any of the following 2 models. Please request a password from firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have received a password via email from the Society you will be allowed to download the models only ones.
- The model was primarily designed to make the users more aware of the impact of AIDS on mortality, and only modelled a hypothetical population.
- Released: 1996
- Calibrated with latest antenatal clinical and mortality data.
- Released: 2000
- The impact of five HIV and AIDS prevention and treatment programmes were modelled. The model allowed the user to assess the impact of HIV related information and education, improved treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, voluntary counselling and testing, prevention of mother-to-child-transmission and antiretroviral treatment.
- Released: 2004
- Model extended to assess the differential impact of AIDS in the different provinces of South Africa, as well as differences between provinces in the extent of antiretroviral treatment rollout.
- Note for download: You will require a password to download any of the following models. Please request a password from email@example.com
For technical assistance with these models please contact:
Lee Sarkin: firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain the file download password please contact:
ASSA Office: email@example.com