SHORT-TERM INSURANCE COMMITTEE
The Short-term Insurance Committee is responsible for developing the interest of the profession in the Short-term Insurance industry.
The committee’s scope is Short-term Insurance actuarial work performed by actuaries in general, and by statutory actuaries in particular in terms of the Short-term Insurance Act.
The objective of the committee is to develop the interests of the profession with regard to Short-term Insurance, as follows:
- To actively support the development and thought leadership of actuarial practice in the areas where actuaries apply actuarial techniques and theory in the Short-term Insurance industry through the development of Actuarial Practice Notes, the provision of CPD events, and the facilitation of research activities.
- To contribute to the strategic direction of the Actuarial Society from the perspective of Short-term Insurance and, in so doing, to support the Actuarial Society brand promise of “thought leadership”.
- To provide input to the Financial Services Board in order to influence legislation affecting Short-term Insurers.
- To provide support for the Actuarial Society’s education initiatives in relation to Short-term Insurance.
The committee includes:
- The STIC Chair and secretary as well as the Chairs of the various subcommittees, an actuary from the FSB and a representative from the Actuarial Society Executive Committee.
- Representatives from ASABA, SAICA, SAIA.
- Industry representatives for both insurers and reinsurers.
The committee members are as follows:
|Niel Fourie||Representative: Actuarial Society|
|Thandanani Mbhele||Representative: ASABA|
|Andre Janse Van Vuuren||Representative: Industry|
|Ryk Coetzee||Representative: Industry|
|Susan Atkinson||Representative: Industry|
|Christiaan Ahlers||Representative: Prudential Authority|
|Kondelelani Muthaphuli||Representative: Prudential Authority Alternate|
|Pamela Ramagaga||Representative: SAIA|
|Andrew Taylor||Representative: SAICA|
|Ricardo Govender||STIC Liaison: ASSA Climate Risk Committee|
|Ronald Richman||STIC Liaison: ASSA ERM Committee|
|Niba Ibrahim||STIC Liaison: ASSA Market Conduct Committee|
|Paballo Makupu||STIC Liaison: Inequality in Insurance|
|Paballo Makupu||Subcommittee: Communication|
|Nicola Viljoen||Subcommittee: CPD|
|Hilda Vigoureux||Subcommittee: Education|
|Thandanani Mbhele||Subcommittee: Emerging Matters|
|Kevin Ross||Subcommittee: Research|
|Lisa Pines||Subcommittee: Practice Certificate|
|Annemarie Sinclair||Subcommittee: Professional Guidance|
|Sajiv Issuree||Subcommittee: Research|
Please refer to the Practice Area Activities for details on committee activities and events.
Information on practicing certificates is available under Professional matters.
Series 400 – General Insurance Advisory Practice Note
Please refer to the document archive for relevant documents.