DEMOGRAPHY & EPIDEMIOLOGY COMMITTEE
The Demography & Epidemiology committee aims to assist the profession and Society in assessing and addressing the impact of HIV and AIDS in South Africa.
The most recent ASSA AIDS model was released in 2023. (To obtain the password to download the models please send an email to ASSA: email@example.com). ASSA released its 2023 HIV sub-population model (SPM), hereafter “ASSA SPM2023”, to address limitations of previous ASSA SPMs such as ASSASelect or PGN105 models (released in the early 2000s).
The committee also provides advice on the application of AIDS and demographic models.
The committee’s objectives are as follows:
- Conduct HIV and AIDS related demographic research and modelling.
- Educate members of the Actuarial Society on HIV related issues through the Actuarial Society’s education, CPD, standard setting, public policy and research activities.
- Provide HIV related tools and guidance to assist in the main Actuarial Practice areas.
- Inform the debate around HIV and AIDS through appropriate communication.
Ensure that implications for policymakers can be derived from the work done by the AIDS committee to support the Actuarial Society brand promise of “thought leadership”.
The committee members are as follows:
|Elbert de Kock|
|Clifton Janse van Rensburg|
Please visit the Aids committee website for further information and AIDS models.
- Series 100 – Advisory Practice Note 105 minimum requirements for deriving extra AIDS mortality
- Series 500 – AIDS Advisory Practice Note for other Practice Areas where the impact of AIDS should be taken into account
- Aids models – To obtain the password to download the Aids Models please send an email to the ASSA Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting the password(s)
Please visit the Demography & Epidemiology committee website for relevant documents.